Applications are open for the EDCTP Career Development Fellowships 2020 in Poverty-related Diseases and Child and Adolescent Health. The purpose of this Call for Proposals is to support early- to mid-career researchers by providing them with opportunities to train and develop their clinical research skills.
The objectives are:
- To promote retention of postdoctoral researchers and postgraduate medical researchers in the clinical or field research areas of sub-Saharan Africa
- To equip the fellows to establish themselves as independent researchers with ability to establish their own research teams at host institutions in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed EUR 150,000. The maximum fellowship duration shall be 36 months.
- The applicant must be a legal entity established in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the host organisation) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant.
- The applying fellow must:
- be a resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country;
- be either a graduate in a subject relevant to the EDCTP programme, with a PhD and up to five years’ relevant postdoctoral research experience, or a medical doctor with up to five years’ research experience;
- have at least one publication in an international peer-reviewed journal;
- not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before.
Projects funded under this Call for Proposals should:
- Contribute towards the achievement of SDG3 ‘Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages’
- Promote career progression of researchers in Africa
- Encourage entry and reintegration of African scientists trained abroad and
- Enable the retention of postdoctoral and postgraduate researchers in their respective research fields and that the researchers develop into independent researchers and team leaders at host institutions in sub-Saharan Africa.
Ultimately these grants will contribute to the generation of a critical mass of clinical or field/social science/ethics researchers and institutional research capacity in sub-Saharan Africa.
Deadline: August 5, 2020
This is a single-stage application procedure. Proposals must be submitted by August 5, 2020 at 17:00 CEST. Evaluation results are expected to be made available by December 21, 2020.
For more information, visit EDCTP Grants.