PhD position in NWO-project on Learning in learning communities to accelerate learning and innovation in the installation sector
The energy transition requires (future) installation workers to adapt to new ways of working and to proactively develop new practices. In this project, Learning Communities composed of (future) installation workers and experts from various educational programs. These Learning Communities should accelerate learning and innovation, but evidence of how and why Learning Communities contribute to sustained learning and development is still anecdotical and often exclusively focused on short-term outcomes. Therefore, innovative measurement methods and analysis techniques are used in this project to unravel the dynamics of underlying learning processes and influencing factors during employees’ participation in Learning Communities. Moreover, as part of the PhD-project, a scaffolding intervention using adaptive learning technology is developed and tested to support participants’ active learning in Learning Communities. This PhD-project forms an excellent opportunity to conduct scientific research to open the black box of what and how participants of learning communities learn and can be supported. In addition, this project will include strong collaboration with the field and therefore will directly contribute to pressing questions on how to prepare the future workforce on the energy transition.
As a PhD candidate in this project, your job is to:
- Design and conduct longitudinal field studies and intervention studies
- Design and implement a scaffolding intervention using adaptive learning technology to support learning in the learning communities
- Work in close collaboration with researchers in the project team (including a post-doctoral researcher and a junior researcher), as well as stakeholders and practitioners in the technical (educational and corporate) field.
- Present findings for a scientific and a non-scientific audience
- Report findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals, research reports, and finalise a dissertation
- participate in the doctoral program of the Twente Graduate School (30 EC), including
The PhD-project is funded by NWO and is part of the project Hit the gas! Learning communities to accelerate learning and innovation in the installation sector.
The project is a collaboration between the University of Twente, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, and Windesheim University of Applied sciences. Besides the PhD-project, also a post-doc and junior researcher will be hired to work on this project.
The PhD-project and post-doc project are positioned at the University of Twente. The consortium, consisting of eight installation companies and three educational institutes already participated in a pilot study and are committed to continue their involvement during the main project.
You have a MSc. degree in Educational Sciences (Social, Organizational, Business) Psychology, Communication Sciences, or a related field. In addition, you:
- have expertise or demonstrable interest in professional learning and development;
- have an interest in the challenges related to the energy transition, and the human capital in the technical sector
- have experience in field research with an interest in longitudinal field research and intervention studies;
- have strong methodological and statistical knowledge and a willingness to learn additional methodological/statistical skills;
- have good social and communication skills in academic as well as non-academic contexts;
- are fluent in English and Dutch (minimum C1-level) and have excellent writing skills;
- are willing and have proven ability to work independently, but also to collaborate with the team and stakeholders.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your application should include the following documents:
- a cover letter (in English or Dutch) which explains your interest in the position and your qualifications for it;
- a curriculum vitae which also includes the name and e-mail address/telephone number for (preferably) two or more references;
- a copy of your master’s thesis or, if it is not yet available, a summary and table of contents of the thesis and an additional writing piece.
Applications should be uploaded via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en (click twice to find vacancy). Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
The application deadline is May 24, 2020. Interviews will be held beginning of June. The starting date for the position is August 1, 2020.
For additional information about this position, or to receive the full text of the proposal you can contact dr. Maaike Endedijk (email@example.com/ +31639270228).
More information about the department of Educational Science can be found on the following website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/owk/. You can also find here links to the other vacancies for this and related projects.
About the department
The department of Educational Sciences is specialised in research on professional learning in organisations. Researchers at our department study formal and informal learning of (future) employees, including the use of technology to measure and support professional learning. Our studies often take place in the high-tech, health, and educational sector with the intention to understand, evaluate and optimize professional learning in these various contexts. We aim to understand the interactions between learning processes on the individual, team, and organizational level and design (technology based) interventions to optimize these processes. In our research group, we combine expertise from a range of disciplines (e.g., educational sciences, psychology, business administration). Staff members participate in the ICO research school (the Interuniversity Centre of Educational Sciences) and the Twente Graduate School.
A 4 year fulltime PhD position at the University of Twente (starting date August 1, 2020), with a qualifier after 1 year. In accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities, the monthly salary starts at € 2.325,- gross per month in the first year, leading up to € 2.972,- gross per month in the last year. Employees are also entitled to a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
We offer excellent auxiliary terms of employment, such as professional and personal development programs; a secondary remuneration package; a dynamic environment with enthusiastic colleagues; an organization focusing on internationalization and a high degree of responsibility and independence.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. Through ‘social engineering’ these technological advances are embedded in society befitting human needs and behaviour, within proper public and private management and business structures. For this the faculty of BMS upholds high quality disciplinary knowledge in psychology, business administration, public administration, communication science, philosophy, educational science and health sciences. All with a focus on the challenges in society. Research is strongly connected to our institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
For More information; Visit the official webpage os the position